BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Boy injured in Fort Plain fire

FORT PLAIN – Fire officials said a blaze at 63 Center St. injured a juvenile male Wednesday evening.

Fort Plain Volunteer Fire Department Fire Chief Jeff Smith said the boy had to be flown to a burn unit at a Syracuse hospital due to his injuries. Smith said he was unaware of the boy’s condition this morning.

Smith said there was extensive damage to a garage on the site, where a two-family structure is also located. The house next door also had damage to its siding, which melted.

Smith said he did not have an exact number of people living at the residence. There were no other injuries reported, he said.

According to the American Red Cross, eight adults are being given emergency assistance with food, clothing and shoes after the fire.

Smith said the Fort Plain department and the Canjaoharie Volunteer Fire Department responded to the scene, along with the Greater Amsterdam Volunteer Fire Department and LifeNet.

Smith referred questions about the cause of the fire to the village Police Department.

Representatives from the police could not be reached for comment.