City contractor pushes for roof construction permits


The Leader-Herald

GLOVERSVILLE – The owner of a city construction firm told the Common Council last week the city should implement a roof permit requirement with inspection.

Scott Horton, owner of Correll Contracting Corp. of West 10th Avenue, discussed what he said was the importance of a municipal permit for roofing construction in the city.

“There’s an issue that’s very important to me,” he said. “There’s no requirement for a roofer to have a building permit.”

Horton said roofs are getting more expensive, and his company is seeing “more and more shoddy roofs.” He said the Gloversville council might think about requiring permits so there can be inspections and followups.

The city of Johnstown has a “rigorous” permit program, Horton said. He said an inspection can find things wrong with a roof, such as damaged plywood, asbestos and lead issues, before the next roof contractor comes along.

“It’s all for the protection of the homeowner,” Horton said.

Horton said the city should require roofing firms, such as his, to show proof of liability insurance. “Something reasonable” would be about $500,000 in insurance coverage, he said. He said there are also workers’ compensation issues that could be applied.

“None of that can be policed if there isn’t a proper ordinance that requires an inspection be done,” Horton said.

Horton said a general fee for the homeowner should be about $25 for a permit, which he said is reasonable considering they are spending thousands of dollars on the roof.

Another public speaker before the council was Amanda Ossenfort of 8 Smith St. She asked city officials to curb the practice of some city residents who conduct “daily” garage sales.

Ossenfort said there’s a resident in the area of Smith Street and Second Avenue who “more than a few days a week” holds garage sales, and is constantly bringing in “truckloads” of items. She said curbing this practice is not only a “quality of life” issue, but the person is giving off the appearance of running a business.

“It’s a safety hazard and that should have been addressed immediately,” Ossenfort said.