Schedule changes at Fonda

When one door closed, it opened a window of opportunity for local race fans.

With World of Outlaws Late Models canceling their race scheduled for June 19 at Fonda Speedway, their only race in New York, promoter Matt DeLorenzo was left with an open date.

His solution will give fans an opportunity to possibly watch some of the top traveling race teams compete in the Empire State Championship 50 a 50-lap, $5,000-to-win, all-green flag racing event on June 19.

Also on the card will be the $1,000-to-win Dig Safely New York GRIT Racing Series powered by VP Racing Fuels for 602 sportsman.

The winner of the modified feature also will receive a guaranteed starting spot for the 29th annual Outlaw 200 at Fulton Speedway on Oct. 4.

But here is the real kicker. General admission for the special event will be the regular Saturday night admission price of $10.

“There is a modified race at New Egypt on Tuesday and I am hoping the teams will stop here on their way back through to central New York,” DeLorenzo said. “Plus, I will be racing at New Egypt and plugging the show.”

Making the admission price the same as on Saturday night is a gamble.

“I am hoping to fill the grandstands,” DeLorenzo said. “I am taking a gamble that lowering the price for the show will also allow the fans to return on Saturday, instead of having to choose between a $30 admission price they would have paid for the late models and coming to the show on Saturday. Now, hopefully, they can do both. We are hoping for volume and quality on that night.”

DIRTcar also is working with DeLorenzo to help keep the season ticket holders happy after canceling the late model show by offering them several options to attend other races on the circuit during the season.

According to a news release, a World of Outlaws Late Model event at Fonda Speedway is not out of the question for 2015.

“Our goal as a series is to always put on the best show possible for our fans,” said World of Outlaws Late Model Series director Tim Christman. “We were unable to secure an event to run in conjunction with Fonda this year, and rather than put on a subpar showing in a region with limited late model competitors to join us, we will focus on building a bigger swing through the Northeast in 2015.”

Continued work in progress

The race season and programs at Glen Ridge Motorsports Park continue to be a work in progress.

With a focus on allowing families more time together during the day, promoter Mike Sowle has switched the Sunday night starting time from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.

“This will allow families to do things together longer and also allow for better track conditions for the drivers to race on.”

Last week the pit area at The Ridge was expanded, allowing more parking space for the teams already there and to prepare for the upcoming Super DIRT Series race on July 16.

The move was good for the pits, but did leave a few fans disgruntled as the new access road to the grandstands was soft and quickly became rutted.

“We are addressing that and are rolling the road in now,” Sowle said. “We are also looking at a possibility of paving it in the future.”

Sowle announced that the street stock division will return to the track for a two-week trial period.

“I have 12 drivers who said they want to run,” Sowle said. “We will give them a chance.”

Offering bonuses of a free set of tires for three wins and a barrel of fuel for five wins for each division, plus paying a $1,000-to-win for the sportsman feature, still have Sowle asking one question: “Where are the cars? We are drawing a good amount, 18 to 20 in the modified and sportsman divisions, but with these bonuses, I am surprised that more are taking a shot at it. The season is still a work in progress and I do like the way things are shaping up.”