Four charged in beating, shooting probe

GLOVERSVILLE – City police Wednesday arrested four Brooklyn men in the investigation of a Tuesday night beating and shooting at a Fremont Street residence, Police Chief Donald VanDeusen said this morning.

One of the four men arrested is suspected of being involved in the beating and shooting, VanDeusen said.

Police said they are looking for more suspects in the beating as well as an apparent second victim.

In the Tuesday incident, police said, a 33-year-old male resident of 77 Fremont St., whom police would not name, answered the door at about 10:15 p.m. and was greeted by a male who immediately struck the victim in the head with a pistol and ordered him to the ground.

Authorities said two other males then entered the apartment and beat the victim with their fists, feet and a hammer. Police said the assailants demanded money and drugs they believed were in the apartment.

“Based upon what we are being told by the victim, we would believe [the incident] to be drug-related at this time,” VanDeusen said.

He said the assailants tied up the victim’s hands and feet and beat him. One of the males, VanDeusen said, covered the victim’s head with a couch cushion and discharged a round from the pistol into the pillow, grazing the victim’s face.

City and state police on Wednesday went to 7 Beech St. to search for the weapon that may have been involved in the assault, authorities said.

During the search, police said, officers found almost 4.5 ounces of crack cocaine packaged for sale, with an approximate street value of $5,000.

Four men were taken into custody and charged with second-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, a felony.

The men arrested were Tyrone J. Richardson, 23, of 510 Quincy St., Brooklyn; Laquan Warren, 19, of 371 Blake Ave., Brooklyn; Dashawn S. Rowland, 19, of 520 Gates St., Brooklyn; and Jonathan Hernandez, 23, of 590 Gates St., Brooklyn.

VanDeusen declined to identify which of the men allegedly was involved with the shooting. He said police are still looking for other suspects in the beating and shooting.

VanDeusen said when police were searching the Beech Street house, one of the suspects tossed a bag of narcotics out a window, and it happened to fall into the hands of Capt. John Sira, who was outside the residence.

“We searched the house and found additional crack cocaine packaged for sale,” VanDeusen said.

In the Tuesday attack, authorities said, the victim suffered multiple lacerations, contusions and a broken wrist.

Police said the victim stated a second man was in the apartment with him before the assailants arrived and also was beaten with a hammer.

The victim told police he knew the man only as Cliff from the Utica area. Police said Cliff is black, about 5 feet, 10 inches tall, weighs about 160 pounds and is in his late 20s to early 30s. The chief said no local hospitals have had any patients come in with injuries related to being beaten with a hammer.

The chief said Cliff left the residence with the other victim to seek help, but when the victim returned, Cliff was nowhere to be found.

“We are not sure if [Cliff] … is a street name he uses,” VanDeusen said.

The 33-year-old victim was taken to Nathan Littauer Hospital, police said, and was in stable condition Wednesday.

Police described the suspects as three black males in their early to mid-20s.

One suspect was wearing a black shirt, black jeans and black Nike sneakers with a white Nike logo. He is about 6 feet, 1 inch tall, weighs about 190 pounds, and has a goatee and a short haircut.

The second suspect was described as 6 feet, 2 inches tall, with short hair and wearing dark clothing.

The third suspect was shorter than the other two and was wearing a silver hoodie and dark jeans, police said.

VanDeusen said police found neither drugs nor firearms in the Fremont Street residence.

“I do believe the victim was familiar with his assailants,” VanDeusen said. “This was not a random act.”

VanDeusen said police are treating the case as an attempted homicide.

The four men arrested Wednesday were sent to Fulton County Jail.

Anyone with information regarding the case is advised to call police at 773-4505 or 736-2100.