BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Cheers and jeers

CHEERS – To Garrett Boblowski. We needed to get this Glebe Street Elementary School third-grader’s name out there. Garrett, in conjunction with the 100th day of school, completed a 100-mile run. Equipped with a GPS, this amazing boy clocked the 100 miles to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. His legs and attitude raised more than $500. This wasn’t the first charitable effort by the 8-year-old philanthropist. At age 7, his 100-day project was to donate 100 craft bags to children at Albany Medical Center Hospital. Cheers to the adults in Garrett’s life who have instilled great character in him, but the loudest cheer goes directly to Garrett.

CHEERS – To regifting. Eight months ago, we jeered the conditions in and around Gloversville’s Darling Field and the lack of maintenance by the Gloversville Enlarged School District on portions of the parcels the district owns. The park has been co-owned by the city and the district for many years. The property was a gift to the Board of Education in 1923 by Hiram Darling to use as an athletic field and be accessible to the public for various purposes. Now the school district is gifting its share to the city, giving the city full responsibility for the entire complex. Let’s face it – no entity has done a good job in preserving this valuable property for years. Now the city has the chance to change this. A great deal of community help will be needed. We suggest the mayor, council, a committee or whoever takes the lead form a group of volunteers to work together with the city to improve Darling Field. The city should make this a goal – a positive, respectful goal.

JEERS – To few alternatives. If you received your recent Time Warner Cable bill and didn’t bother to read all the papers in it, dig it out and be prepared for your blood pressure to go up when you find the paper that says “IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR ACCOUNT.” Fully realizing this media giant has the “right” to raise rates, the increase is another whack at our pocketbooks – in this case, a minimum of a 6.4 percent wallop. A spokesman for TWC said “70 percent of customers won’t see any change right away, because they are currently in promotional packages.” Wow, that remaining 30 percent, loyal customers, must feel foolish for not canceling and then getting one of those promotional packages, or for not having the time to be placed on hold for days trying to negotiate a new rate. And just think, a merger with Comcast is looming in the shadows.