Board eyeing special permits

MAYFIELD – Town officials are considering a law that would allow the Town Board to grant special use permits after a land owner expressed interest in mining gravel and sand from one of his properties.

Bradley Reed, who owns vacant land on?Route 30 near the former town dump on Sand Hill Road, wants to dig gravel and sand out of the 30-acre property, Code Enforcement Officer Mike Stewart told the Town Board at Thursday’s meeting.

Under current zoning law, Reed would not be able to mine because the property is in an agricultural zone without a permit.

“The reason I bring it up, even though we have the Zoning Commission [meeting] coming up, I think Brad wants to get moving,” Stewart said.

According to Stewart, waiting for the Zoning Commission to take action could take up to a year.

“The sooner, the better, was his comment,” Stewart said.

A special use permit would allow someone to mine in the town if they provided the proper documents to the town Planning Board.

“A special use permit more or less looks out for the impact on the surrounding property,” Stewart said. “It might require a buffer zone or something like that.”

A permit would just allow the holder to work only in the town, Stewart said. A mining project would still require other approvals, including from the state Department of Environmental Conservation.

Town Supervisor Richard Argotsinger said the board is willing to go forward with discussing the idea.

Before permits can be issued, the town would need to write the law, hold a public hearing and approve it.

“Then, he can go and acquire one,” Argotsinger said.

Argotsinger asked Stewart to bring in examples of how other towns handle permits.

Arthur Cleveland can be reached at