Firefighter injured putting out blaze

AMSTERDAM – One firefighter was injured while putting out a fire at 294-296 Locust Ave. on Thursday.

Michael Depasquale, the city Fire Department’s battalion chief, said the firefighter went to the hospital and did not return to duty.

No other injuries were reported.

Depasquale said the fire is being deemed “accidental,” and the unofficial cause is a faulty dryer.

The residence is un-inhabitable due to extensive water and smoke damage to the first floor, he said.

The American Red Cross provided food, clothing and seasonal garments to two adults and nine children in one family, and a single adult.