Love put Jesus on cross
The cost of man’s redemption at the cross was not cheap grace. Grace is a free gift, God’s unmerited favor. The law of love spells grace. The law of love is the fulfillment of the 10 Commandments at the cross. Christians are imperfect, only forgiven. We are empowered by the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Godhead, to love other people. It bears repeating, Christians do not adhere to the strict interpretation of the law of Moses, however we are controlled by the Holy Spirit. The law of love operating through grace enables us to fulfill the demands of the 10 Commandments. The law has not died, however Christians died to its demands. Christians live under the law of grace through love (Romans 3:31, Romans 7:6, Romans 13:8 and 9). The law was satisfied, not obliterated at the cross. How powerful is grace. It forgives the vilest sinner, you and me. Picture the scenario: A sweat- soaked staggering man, bleeding from a crown of thorns plaited around his head, carries a heavy weight of a cross, sweat mingles with blood. Christ is stripped of his seamless role and placed on a prostrate cross. The Romans drive spikes through Christ’s hands and freet. Christ loudly cries from the acute, incendiary pain. The cross is raised. Jeering crowds mock Jesus. “If you are the Messiah, come down from the cross. You saved others, save yourself!” Jesus said, “Father forgive them for they know not what they do.” Meanwhile soldiers gamble for Christ’s seamless robe. Two thieves, one on the right and left on crosses deserved punishment but out of grace for the repentant thief who said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom,” by grace Christ saved that one thief. The other insulted Jesus. So we learn:
1. Love put Jesus on the cross.
2. Men are saved by calling on Jesus’ name in reverence.
3. Grace saves the vilest criminal.
4. Repentance brings salvation.
5. The power of loving our enemies transforms observers of unbelievers.
6. Jesus is full of grace and truth.
7. The purpose of the 10 Commandments is to make us look to the cross for Jesus to save us by grace.
8. The cross leads to the resurrection and by grace we have been delivered from sin.