Mother charged in wake of fire
GLOVERSVILLE – The mother of three children who survived a fatal house fire last month on Fifth Avenue has been charged with three counts of endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor, city police said this morning.
Police said Jamie L. Ormanian, 31, left her three children, ages 2, 4 and 12, in the home without adequate supervision for a short period.
During the time she was gone, a child in the house used a lighter to set a blanket on fire in the living room on the first floor, police said.
Two adults – Donald Larimore, 41, and Marcus VanSlyke, 66 – were in the one-family house at the time of the fire, but they were intoxicated and unable to react to the situation, police said.
Larimore died from smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide intoxication in the fire, authorities said.
VanSlyke made it out of the house.
“I don’t want everyone to think that I am a terrible mother that leaves her kids,” Ormanian said this morning. “I literally stepped out of the house for four minutes.”
She said VanSlyke pays half the rent for the house.
She said she was not drinking the night of the fire.
Ormanian, who was charged Friday, said a Child Protective Services employee informed her it’s OK to leave a 12-year-old home alone to watch younger children.
However, Police Chief Donald VanDeusen said this morning the law doesn’t specify an age for a child to be left alone supervising others.